I really enjoyed this article, Parents and Children: Listening, Learning, and Loving, by M. Russell Ballard. He gives common sense advice to both youth and parents. Following is a very brief summary. However, I encourage you to read the article because there is a lot of great stuff not included here!
Sons & Daughters
1. Trust your parents.
2. Take an interest in your parents’ life.
3. Ask your parents for advice.
1. Listen to your children—really listen to them.
2. Pray with and for your children.
3. Dare to have the “big talks” with your children.
...the home is the most important place to prepare the youth of today to lead the families and the Church of tomorrow. It rests upon each one of us as mothers and fathers to do all we can to prepare our youth to be faithful, righteous men and women. It is in the home where we must teach the gospel by precept and by example. -M.R. Ballard